Fire Damages Cottage 5
 
Kitchen a Total Loss

Lubbock, Texas - March 25, 2010 - Last night Murray Cottage at The Children's Home of Lubbock was the scene of a fire.  Thankfully, no one was injured, child nor staff.
 
The House Parents, Andrew and Darlene Hernandez, awoke sometime around midnight to the sound of smoke alarms.  The Lubbock Fire Department responded very quickly and by about 1:15 AM, the fire was out.  The Fire Department continued observing and checking hotspots to be sure the fire was completely extinguished before leaving at about 2:30.
 
The fire originated in the dishwasher and was mostly contained to the kitchen area.  The kitchen is a total loss and heat damage is visible in the dining and living rooms.  The rest of the house sustained heavy smoke damage.
 
The teen girls who live in the cottage have been moved to the Steele Cottage to stay until the cottage can be repaired.  The Hernandez family owns a home near campus and has moved there.

I am thankful for many things today:  No one was injured.  The smoke alarms worked properly.  The fire did not completely destroy the cottage.  The Lubbock Fire Department was responsive, quick, and efficient.  And I am proud of how our staff responded to the emergency, Vickie and Jimmy Russell, Will and Dee Weathersby, and child care staff Andrew and Darlene Hernandez.  We ask that you keep the girls and the Hernandez family in your prayers.
 
I will stay in touch with you to keep you informed about this situation at The Children's Home.  We are most grateful for your partnership with us.
 
Lynn R. Harms, President
The Children's Home of Lubbock
 
 
                                                                                              Make an Online Gift